When we use these terms , we have a better understanding of what is going on. Just about every scripture you can decipher, if we use these simple words in our study. Who the Scripture is talking about ? Who is talking ? When is it taking place ? What the scripture is about ? Where are these things taking place ? Why is this scripture here ?
In order to understand the Bible you must learn a bit about Jewish tradition, because the Bible was mostly wrote for the Jewish people.
The Old Testament was wrote in Hebrew, and the New Testament was wrote
in Greek. The first five books of the Bible was called the Torah and it
was written by Moses. The Old Testament was called the Septulegent also
. We must decide if the Bible is the truth or not. The Bible never condricts
itself, the Bible is the whole truth of God the Father and of Jesus Christ
our Lord and Saviour .
By using these simple steps we can start our Bible Study. We must always remember that we must read what the Bible says, not what man puts into it. Always remember 2 Timothy . 3 : 16 . Which tells us that the Bible was inspired by God. And 1 Thessalonians 5 : 21. Test all things hold fast to what is good .
All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable
for doctrine, for reproof, For correction, for instruction in righteousness.
Test all things; hold fast what is good .
We shall now start our Bible Study. I am going to show you where Jesus Christ of the New Testament is the God of the Old Testament . We start this study with Exodus. 3 : 14 . Moses goes up on the mountain to speak with God for the children of Israel. God tells Moses that he ( Moses ) shall be the deliver .
But Moses asks God, Who shall I say that has spoken to me when they ask. And God answered him, Exodus. 3 : 14 . And God said to Moses, I Am Who I AM. And He said, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, I Am has sent me to you. This scripture is very important as we shall see later, we shall come back to this scripture.
Now we come to the Birth of Jesus Christ. His mother was Mary and His father was Joseph ( Earthly Father ) . While Mary was carrying Jesus in child birth an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph. The angel of the Lord told Joseph what his name shall be. Matthew. 1 : 23 . Behold, a virgin shall be with child and bear a Son , and they shall call His name Immanuel, which is translated, God with us.
As you can see Jesus name is translated God with us. So we can see that Jesus is God. Again in scripture we see when Satan is tempting Jesus in the wilderness that he temps Christ a number of times. But after fasting for forty days Satan knew , when to temp Jesus , when He was a His weakest point.
Satan tempted Jesus by saying, that He could jump from the temple and the angels would bear Him up, so that not even His foot would touch a stone. After Satan tempted Jesus, Jesus answered him, Matthew. 4 : 7. Jesus said, to him, it is written again, You shall not temp the Lord your God. Now we have Jesus proclaiming that He is God.
Now we come to a critical point in our Bible study, we must decide if Christ is a liar or not. For when we read John. 5 : 37 . Christ says, That no one has seen the Father ( God ) or heard His voice. When Christ says, no one, He means, no one.
John. 5 : 37 . And the Father Himself, who sent Me, has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time, nor seen His form. So if this is true who then did Moses speak to on Mount Sini. And who did the rest of the prophets speak to in the Old Testament. Abraham, Jeremiah, Isaiah, and so on, all of the minor prophets.
So now we must decide who this person was, who all the prophets talked to. I believe that this person was none other then Jesus Christ . I will show you why .
All of the Bible scholar's agree that Jesus name is refereed to many names in the Bible. Such names as The Lamb, The Light, The Word , The Rock , The Shepherd . And the Son . But these are just a few, which comes to mind. So now that we know most of the important names used lets carry on.
In Genesis we read that mankind was made in God's image. Genesis. 1:26. Then God said , Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our Likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth. Notice how God says, Us and Ours meaning more than one .
Now back to Christ, we read in John. 1:1-14 . In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (2) He was in the beginning with God. (3) All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. (4) In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. (5) And the Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness (people) did not comprehend it. (6) There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. (John the Baptist)
(7) This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through Him might believe. (8) he was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. (9 ) That was the true Light which gives Light to every man who comes into the world. (10) He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.
(11) He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. (12) But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name: (13) who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. (14 ) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Now I will rephrase John. 1:1-14. In the beginning was Christ, and Christ was with God, and Christ was God. All things were made through Christ, and without Christ nothing could not have been made. The world did not know Christ because even His own people rejected Him, The Jews.
Now not all Jew's don't believe in Christ because there are Jew's who do believe, and the number of Jews who do believe would just astound you. But most of the Jewish people are still waiting for the Messiah.
But verse (14) proves what I am saying is true beyond a shadow of a doubt. And the Word (Christ) became flesh and dwelt among us, meaning that Christ came down to this earth in human form. And we (the apostles) beheld His (Christ) glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father (God), full of grace and truth. And the only begotten of God the Father is Jesus Christ. You would be very wise to read over John. 1:1-14. Again . And prove it to yourself that this is true. These are the words from your own Bible.
Now we go to Hebrew's and once again we see that Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour is actually a God. We read Hebrew's 1:1-12. God, who at various times and in different ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, (2) has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; (3) who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His Majesty on high,
(4) having become so much better than the angels, as he has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name then they. (5) For to which of the angels did He ever say: You are My Son, Today I have begotten You? And again: I will be to Him a Father, And He shall be to Me a Son:
(6) But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: Let all the angels of God worship Him. (7) And of the angels He says: who makes His angels spirits and his ministers a flame of fire . (8) But to the Son He says: Your Throne, O God, is forever and ever: A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. (9) you have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions. (10) And You, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth. And the Heavens are the work of Your hands:
(11) They will perish , but You remain; And they will all grow old like a garment; (12) Like a cloak You will fold them up, ANd they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will not fail.
Here again we have some very strong scriptures proving that Jesus Christ is a God. (God the Son). It also proves that God the Father has never spoken to mankind, for it says in the very first verse that God spoke to the prophets at various times in different ways (dreams, visions, Angels and so on). God the Father has never spoken to mankind. If He did then Christ is a liar. God forgive us if that is what we think.
Again we see that God the Father and Jesus Christ made the world's together. God the Father says, that Christ is His Son. But look at verse (8) But to the Son He says: Your Throne, O God (Christ), is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom.
Again verse (9) You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God (Christ) Your God (God the Father), has anointed You (Christ) with the oil of gladness more than your companions. And once again verse (10) And : You, Lord (Christ), in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, And the heavens are the work of Your (Christ) hands. So as you can see once again that we have God the Father and God the Son.
Now we come to the place where Jesus appeared to the twelve apostles after He rose from the dead. The apostles were amazed to see Jesus, He had just appeared to them, but Thomas was not there when Jesus had come. So Thomas said, That he would not believe it was Jesus, not until he had put his hand into Jesus side where the Roman soldiers had pierced Him.
He also had to put his fingers into the nail holes which they had crucified Him with be nailing Him to the stake. Then after eight days Jesus appeared to them again, this time Thomas was with them. Jesus knew exactly what Thomas had said , for He said, To Thomas John. 20:27. And Thomas answered and said to Him, My Lord and my God !
So here we have even Thomas calling Jesus God. Thomas came to such a startling understanding that he knew exactly who Jesus was. God the Son. If this was not true, why didn't Jesus say to Thomas that this was not so . And why didn't any of the apostles say, This is not God, this is Christ. Why would Christ lead Thomas and the apostles on. No Christ didn't lead Thomas and the apostles on, because His is a God. God the Son.
When Christ is praying to God the Father He proclaims that He was with the Father before the world was as we read in John. 17:5. And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I have with You before the world was.
Once again we read that Jesus was with God the Father before the world was and that God the Father loved Him even before the world's were made John. 17:24. Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for you loved Me before the foundation of the world,
Now we come to the most vital scriptures of all, which proves that Jesus Christ is a God. And that he is the God of the Old Testament. I have given you scriptures which proves that Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour is a god. Now I will prove to you that Jesus Christ is the God of the Old Testament.
Now the Jew's asked Jesus, Do you think that You are greater than Abraham, and the prophets. Who do you think You are ? And here is how Jesus answered them, John. 8:54-57. Jesus answered, If I honour Myself, My honour is nothing. It is My Father who honours Me, of whom you say that he is your God.
(55) yet you have not know Him, but I know Him. And if I say, I do not know Him, I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word. (56) Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.
(57) Then the Jews said to Him, You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham ? (58) Jesus said to them, Most assuredly , I say to you before Abraham was I AM. So here we have Jesus saying that He knows God directly. And again He says that Abraham rejoiced to see His day. And when Abraham saw His day that Abraham was glad. Then Jesus says that Before Abraham was I Am.
Remember Exodus. 3:14. The very scripture that we started with. Exodus. 3:14. And God said to Moses, I Am Who I Am. And He said, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel. I AM has sent me to you. Now we must decide is Christ a liar or not for He claims to be the very God of the old Testament.
We read once again in Revelation. 1:4-18. John, to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven Spirits who are before His throne, (5) and from Jesus Christ , the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood, (6) and has made us kings and priests to His God and Father , to Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
( 7 ) Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, and they also who pierced Him, And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him, Even so , Amen.
( 8 ) I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, says the Lord, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty. (9) I, John, both your brother and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
(10) I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud voice, as of a trumpet, (11) saying, I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, and, What you see, write in a book and send it to the seven churches which are in Asia: To Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamos, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.
(12) then I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands, (13) and in the midst of the seven lampstands One like the Son of Man, clothed with a garment down to the feet and girded about the chest with a golden band. (14 ) His head and His hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; (15) His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters;
(16) He had in His right hand seven stars, out of His mouth went a sharp two-edge sword, and His countenance was like the sun shining in its strength. (17( And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying, to me, Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. (18) I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.
There is no doubt that these scriptures are talking about Jesus Christ. As we can see that Jesus Christ is a God. God the Son. Christ is the firstborn from the dead, and He is the ruler of the kings of this earth. And will make us king's and priests to His God and Father. He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him. As we see in verse (8) that He is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, He is the Almighty.
I guess He is the Almighty, when we understand that he made all of this world and all of the universes, every living creature that is living or that ever was, like the dinosaurs. It is beyond man's imagination what Christ is capable of doing. All we have to do is to go out at night, when there are no clouds in the sky, and look up and see all the stars and planets. Scientist's now claim that there are over 50 million different galaxies out there and they are still discovering more and more every day.
It even gives a description of Christ what He will look like when He comes back on the Lord's Day (Not Sunday). His head and His hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire; His feet were like fine brass, as if refined in a furnace, and His voice as the sound of many waters.
Verse (17-18) And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But he laid His right hand on me, saying, to me, Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.
We must be very careful when we read the scriptures. We must not read them as man putt's them. We must not believe what man say's they mean. We must read them for ourselves and believe what the scriptures say. We must not follow man and his way's . We must follow Christ, we must do as Christ did, we must speak as Christ spoke, we must act as Christ acted.
We are only human and we make mistakes all the time. But if we try to the best of our ability to do as Christ did we will receive all the promises that Christ promised and that God the Father promised.
By keeping Their words and commandments, by keeping the Holy days, not man's days. And by living a good and righteous life. I hope that this Bible study has helped someone. I only teach what God's word says. It is God who speaks to you, it is not me. Every time you pick up your Bible God is speaking to you directly. So listen to what God is saying to you. Remember 2 Timothy. 3:16. All scriptures are inspired by God. And 1 Thessalonians. 5:21. Test all things and hold fast what is good.
I have only summarized briefly the scriptures that prove that Jesus Christ is God. the God of the Old Testament. through you're studies in the Bible you will come across many scriptures that prove that Jesus Christ is God the Son.
Time don't allow me to go on and on, this is just a brief Bible Study.
When you learn this basic truth, many Scriptures will become clearer and
clearer to you. I thank and I praise God the Father and God the Son. For
giving me understanding that I may understand that they are a God Family.
Thank you for taking the time to read this Bible Study .
May the Father & Jesus Christ be with you always
By : Edward P. Porter